Luke was a physician who kept careful notes. As a result, his gospel is rich in detail. In Luke chapter 4 (verses 33-41), Luke records that Jesus had just spent the day teaching in the synagogue, where He healed a man who was possessed with demons.
From there, He went to Peter’s house, where He healed Peter’s mother-in-law. Soon, people arrived experiencing all kinds of suffering. Jesus healed them all! This included casting out many demons, and each time, Jesus rebuked the demons for declaring His true identity.
Jesus’s Activity Pre-Cross
Notice what happens:
- Jesus is willing to heal all who come to him, demanding no explanation, condition, or vow.
- Though the people are healed, their healing is only temporary: each person is still destined to die.
- Finally, only the demons grasp Jesus’s true identity; those who are freely healed by His mercy do not.
Seeing God’s Purpose Post-Cross
However, when we look back at this picture from the perspective of the Cross, we discover these glorious truths:
- Jesus’s offer to heal still stands; however, through the Cross, the gift is far greater: Jesus came to heal our souls. (John 3;16; 1 John 2:25)
- Our transformation is not temporary; a believer’s spirit will be united with Jesus in Heaven for all eternity. (Romans 6:3-5; John 17:20-23)
- Finally, the demons were furious at Jesus’s arrival precisely because they knew who He was: the eternal Son of God whose mission was to conquer sin, Satan, and Death itself. Only after this mission was accomplished through the Cross was Jesus’s identity made publicly known. (Colossians 2:15)
Lord, we praise You and thank You that You are a God who desires to forgive and heal. Help us to see the people around us through Your eyes. Thank You for Your great love and the eternal home You are preparing for those who love You, where we will be free from every disease, heartbreak, and sorrow all eternity. Amen!
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll love my new Bible study based on the fascinating story of a man possessed by a legion (thousands!) of demons. It’s called, LEGION: Rediscovering the God Who Rescues Me.
Shadia is a passionate Bible teacher, author and speaker who has a heart for seeing lives transformed by the power of God’s Word. She holds a master’s in biblical and theological studies from Western Seminary and is author of several books and Bible studies.